Sunday, March 23, 2008

Part 1: Sights and Sounds: Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City






In an effort to catch-up on the past few weeks I am taking a two-blog approach. Welcome to Part 1: Sights and Sounds where I will take you on a roller coaster ride of the famous touristic sights of Beijing. You see, while I was not blogging I was busy working, making new friends, learning to tell the taxi driver how to get me home and most importantly for these purposes--seeing more of Beijing.

It was not difficult to decide where to go first, I met my friend in the center of Beijing to see immense Tiananmen Square and Forbidden City....along with thousands of other people who were doing the same. This brings me to a common theme on doing anything in Beijing, despite how creative I think I am or how many restaurants this city boasts there are bound to be tons of other people around going through the same motions in a different language.


Beijing is as flat as a pancake, with maybe a couple little blueberries or chocolate chips depending on your preference. Tiananment Square is a massive area with some impressive monuments with great meaning that I cannot do justice to. I made a mental note to arrive at all other tourist destinations much earlier in the morning to perhaps see them with less obstacles. There was a huge line twisting and turning through the square to see Mao embalmed, we passed and took pictures under his huge face instead.

After soaking in the square we made our way over to the Forbidden City which is right beside the square (hence doing them at one time). This was my first time at a tourist destination and my first time being a major target for people wanting to sell things, I don't think it helped that I was with a very tall blond gal either (sorry J :)). The Forbidden City is an ancient city within a city. There are numerous palaces, courtyards, bridges and on and on. In preparation for the Olympics, alot of the city was covered for one reason or another, but of the parts that I could see I'm sure it would have made a great home.


One of the highlights of the day (do not judge me) was a hamburger with 'American characteristics' (yes I am quoting from the menu) found at 'Grandma's Kitchen'. We found this hidden gem while looking for another restaurant. Since then I've visited one more 'Grandma's Kitchen' sight across the street from my hotel for more 'American characteristics' and a can of Canada Dry ginger ale.

No comments: