Sunday, March 23, 2008

Part 1: Sights and Sounds: The Summer Palace




Sadly, my friend Jenna recently returned to the US, but before she went we tackled one more sight in Beijing with a few other gals. That being the Summer Palace in the north east part of the the city about 45 minutes from where I live (yes Beijing is HUGE). Before heading there I stopped off in the Wudouko area to meet a new friend of a friend for lunch at a hip little student hang-out called 'Lush.' Lush had 10Y (approx $1.20) Guinness for St. Patrick's Day, I still opted for a jasmine tea.

The Summer Palace is on the outskirts of town and includes one of the few hills around. This made for a great view after a great many stairs. The park is very large and many of the areas are quite tricky to pose for pictures in which allowed us to actually get some shots with only one human being in them! After we climbed up the face of the palace we strolled down the hill on the other side of the park to very long walkway on the water. There were many Chinese tourist groups all wearing hats of the same color, they looked strangely to be the same height as well as a matter of fact.

Later that night, though we were pooped, we pulled ourselves together for an evening on the town. I had my best meal since being in Beijing at a middle-eastern restaurant called 1001 Nights. I had minjedra, lebneh, fattoush, mouaka, baba ganoush, you name it! On top of it all there were belly dancers as well! After I hit the dance floor at Slasa Caribe, I do not claim to know how to salsa but I did my best and we met some LA Dodgers salsa-ing as well who were in town for the first ever national baseball league game in China against the San Diego Padres (they are trying to promote 'America's favorite past-time' (baseball) in China). All in all, a pretty great day.



No comments: